Saturday, September 29

outfit for a one-year-old

Have I mentioned how much I love the book Handmade Beginnings? Renewing it from the library just wasn't enough. Last month I made a dress from a pattern in the book for a first birthday present, and I just finished another project for another birthday boy. This little guy's growing fast! He's wearing 24-month clothing for the length, but doesn't fill it out. So I made a pair of 18-month "quick-change trousers" in 24-month length.

These are a simple pattern with an elastic waistband. There is a lot of room for creativity because they are reversible. I went with a basic lightweight grey corduroy for one side, but couldn't resist a bold wacky flannel print for the other.


The gears and bolts in the pattern made me think of wheels (both our boys will spin the wheels on strollers and other toys), but Patrick immediately thought of his dad's cycling interest and helped design and make a onesie to complete the outfit.


Patrick screen-printed one large gear and I appliqued three small ones from the flannel fabric to look like a bicycle.



An embroidered chain completed the look. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but not entirely confident it will hold up very long on a playful toddler. Maybe he'll outgrow it before that's an issue.



1 comment: