Friday, May 31

home improvements

We found a whole unopened gallon of paint in our basement that matches the main room of our new house. Originally I had imagined changing the color somewhat, but with that much extra for touch-ups, the slightly purple neutral look will work for us or a while. I took the can into Lowes to have them help me get a shade darker for the kitchen and guest bathroom. We did some pretty extensive wall repair while we were at it.

Here are some before/progress pics:

The blue was lovely, but not our style.

We found some very creative former color schemes when we removed some trim.

And here is our new look.

Lighting is different, but the kitchen and bathroom are the same color and the mirrored wall was not changed.

I like the higher contrast between the walls and white cabinetry in the kitchen. We get lots of natural light, so I wasn't too concerned with a darker paint color. My parents gifted us the IKEA cabinet on the right. It's from their Liatorp collection, and I really like the look. We considered completely removing the old phone jack. I know we certainly won't use it for its intended purpose, but the concern was resale, so Patrick found a hack that will turn it into a power source for some track lighting in the cabinet. Win-win.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Jurgens! Can't wait to see it....

    ReplyDelete